EFC Short Story Contest
Estonian Foundation of Canada is launching a short story contest for the whole community. As we all find ourselves without our usual routines, EFC invites you to use this unique time to find some inspiration and be creative – in fact you can even write about it!
The Challenge: Write a short fiction or non-fiction piece on any topic with a tangible and identifiable connection to the Estonian-Canadian experience. Maximum 1500 words. In English or Estonian.
Works should be previously unpublished.
Deadline: Thursday, December 31, 2020, midnight ET
Judging: A panel of 3 judges with writing experience, in consultation with representative(s) from the EFC Board, will select winners and honourable mentions in the following categories:
This will be a blind competition, meaning that judges will be provided with anonymous numbered entries only. The EFC office will keep track of entrants and their numbers, ensuring that this information remains confidential except in order to identify the winners.
Prize: Winners will be awarded cash prizes as follows:
At the discretion of EFC, works will be published on the EFC website and in other relevant media, with proper attribution to the authors.
The mission of the Estonian Foundation of Canada is to support Estonian cultural and heritage initiatives in Canada. Through this contest we hope to encourage Estonian-Canadians of all ages across the country to explore their connection to their heritage in new ways to help ensure an Estonian future in Canada.
• This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents
• Only original and unpublished fiction or nonfiction is eligible.
• A completed and signed entry form available for download below (EFC Short Story Contest Rules and Entry Form)
• Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5” x 11” pages, saved as a PDF.
• Please type only the title of entry on each numbered page. This will be a blind competition. Judges will be provided with numbered, anonymous entries only. The EFC office will keep the only record of entrants and numbers and only those entries awarded prizes will be identified.
• Multiple entries are accepted.
• Submit entries and entry form to email@example.com
• Entries must be received electronically by 11:59 p.m. EDT Time on December 31, 2020 to be eligible.
Estonian Foundation of Canada acknowledges the inspiration of the Shevchenko Foundation Emerging Author Competition in developing this contest.